I am pleased with the colours and I am absolutely in love with those curls! They are made to stay, too, as they were not done with a curling iron. I used my secret formula and dried them wrapped around sewing pins and shish-kabob sticks. I plan to make more ‘curly’ wigs in the future and they are so much fun to style.
Two different dolls, Two different wigs, Two different fibers, Two entirely different styles…same basic technique
One is made of my hand dyed wool and the other my own suri alpaca doll hairs. I could not resist playing with these two very different dolls and giving them each their own unique look. Both the wigs are made using the glue method. The alpaca is wefted, but the wool is attached curl by lovely curl. Both wigs are available for sale in my Etsy shop at: http://www.stephanieasmith.etsy.com
….IS DONE! I decided to keep it simple and not add more. I really did not want to completely cover the prospective dolls’ head in decoration and so I left it as it is with all of that gorgeous soft mohair showing. It is now available in my Etsy shop at http://www.StephanieASmith.etsy.com
I’ve already started on three new wigs. One more J-doll size which is approximately 3.25 inches and two Monster High wigs which is approximately 5 inches in size. I can’t wait to get them done. I am at least going to use my super soft alpaca on two of them. I love suri alpaca doll hair!
Alternate title for this post..”What I Did Today” I finished (I think that I have finished) the J-Doll wig that I was making with the blue, green and purple mohair that I shared the wefting for in a post a bit back. Mohair! Lovely stuff! But I really wanted to kick this one up a notch. So…Ta-da!
Yes! I got to use my new flush cutters that I had ordered just for making chainmaille for dolls. They arrived in the mail the other day curtesy of Amazons 2 day shipping. So this wig is wearing handcrafted chainmaille links made from brass wire and decked with seed beads along the front and side with tiny little brass wires and beads wrapped in back. I still have to style the hair itself and decide if it needs more, but I am thinking that it is probably adorned enough. It is for little heads and I do want to show the hair. We will see! But not knowing can definately be a part of the creative adventure for me.
Of course, I dyed suri alpaca doll hair today. I do dye hair most days. These are for a custom order for a fabulous lady in New Zealand. They are wet now and need their second coat. But they sure have a great start!
Here are a couple of my J-Dolls covered and protected for wig making. I go with the full body look:
There are many tutorials out there for glue method wigs and so I am not going to cover it here at this time. But to share my journey a bit, I prefer wefting. I start with drawing straight lines on a piece of typing paper about an inch or so apart with a ruler and a pencil. Then I sew on my machine to attach the hair across the lines. I am using some of my own handyed and combed mohair in the pictures.
Next I trim down the fuzzy tops. You do not want to cut too close as it will not go well. It is a little close in some spots, but should be okay if I am very careful. Once the trimming is finished, I fold the hair over the stitches and sew it across twice over.
Once this is done, it is just a matter of very carefully tearing the paper away. You will need to pick little bits of paper free, but it is not hard to do.
Then you are ready to create your wig with your newly wefted hair. This was my last project (also, mohair) and available in my Etsy shop (www.stephanieasmith.etsy.com). It is made to fit J-doll.
You are almost done with a project and find that you are missing the exact thing that you need to finish it.
I was working on this mini bjd vest for pullip body size 3 and 4:
and, I thought that it would be lovely trimmed with a little bit of rabbit fur. I figured that I had some rabbit fur. No worries. Well, I went to get it out and realized that keeping it in a plastic bin for over a decade does not preserve it well. So, I go to Etsy and find a very nice lady in Alaska who makes fur baby booties and order a small amount of rabbit scraps.
So while I am waiting, I start a new sewing project for a bjd blouse (still sized for pullip body 3 and 4) made with upcycled antique linens. Isn’t the hand stitched butterfly gorgeous!!! Whoever stitched this motif had a lovely fine hand!
But then I realize that I had a ton of large snaps but no small snaps, so while I am waiting for Amazon to deliver my snaps. I started a skirt to pair with the blouse.
The snaps should be here today, so I will be looking forward to finishing two of the three project very soon :):)
Sorry for the poor lighting, but I took these laid out on the kitchen table and I think that if I am going to insist on taking picture on my kitchen table, it would be best to move my table very soon!
Anyway, I have most of the stitching done and have embroidered some bullion stitch flowers around the neckline and down the front. I am wanting to trim the edges in some white rabbit fur. I looked on-line and found a couple of thin rabbit fur trims, but one was located in South Korea and the other in Bulgaria. I really don’t want to wait so long for mailing, so I will have to do some more searching. If nothing else, I can get a rabbit pelt and cut my own. I found plenty of US listings for pelts. I will update when I am done with this project.
For the meantime, I have started to cut out my next sewing projects. I am using some antique linens. The hand work is amazing! I got a huge pile of these old linens at a local antique/junk shop last year for about .25 cents each as they have stains and spots. There are too many beautiful unstained bits left to throw away and repurposing them for lovely little doll clothes is a perfect use. Of course, I doubt that I will leave the finished clothes with only the embroidery the fabrics came with. I adore embellishing!